Friday, November 04, 2005

The fight for the open Internet

SBC Head Ignites Access Debate

The head of a major telecommunications company stirred up a hornets' nest this week by suggesting that he wants to charge companies like Google and Yahoo a fee for bringing them into consumers' homes.


Let me see if I understand this. Mr. Whitacre wants to charge me for access to Google, Yahoo, and the rest of the Internet, (and since SBC bought my ISP provider he would be charging me) and Google and Yahoo and the rest of the Internet for their access to me. Quite a racket. I sincerely trust our political system will not let him get away with it.

An open end-to-end Internet is in the best interests of the PR industry, to say nothing of free speech.

Edit-
Businessweek

Commentary from David Coursey

SBC CEO Edward Whitacre says his company's paying customers should pay more for using the SBC network to exchange content. His plan would cripple the Internet.

No comments: